Lately, any time I’m in a group I hear people talking about wanting to leave their job and start their own business. The numbers have doubled since the beginning of the pandemic.
Many feel their employer doesn’t really have their back or they feel they aren’t being paid fairly. Others think their company doesn’t listen to their ideas or allow them to contribute all of their knowledge and creativity so they don’t feel like they are getting to do their best work. Then there are the creatives who have taken a job for the money but really wish they could be doing what they’re really passionate about. These people thought they could force themselves to take a day job for the security but their hearts are aching to strike out on their own. The little voice in their head is getting louder and louder urging them to put their fear to the side and try to make a living doing what they love.
The question is: How do you leave your job and start a business of your own?
Here are 8 things you need to do before you make the decision to strike out on your own.
- Clarify what you want to offer. What kind of products or services will your company be promoting?
- Write down your Motivations and Desired Outcomes for wanting this business.
- Research how successful entrepreneurs in your field got there.
- Determine where you are currently at financially. Do you have debt or savings and how will that impact the amount of money your business will need to bring in?
- Decide if you can wait or if you need to leave your current job ASAP.
- Know how much you will need to start your new business and how much it will cost to run every month.
- Figure out how you are going to pay for your personal expenses until your business can support you.
- Choose whether you want to start your new venture while you are still working or if you feel you need to leave your job in order to get it going.
The motivation I had for leaving my job and starting my own business is that I love helping people realize their dreams. Particularly the dream of starting a business based on passion and joy.
I’m offering a one-day workshop called “Can I Please Quit My Job” to help you see if starting your own business is really right for you. If it is, we will put a plan in place to help you leave your job as safely and stress free as possible. We’ll tackle all of the 8 “to-do’s” above.
As soon as you sign up I’ll send you a questionnaire to help you clarify the details of your business. So, the earlier you enroll the more time you will have to prepare for the workshop.
This workshop is a steal. I charge $225.00 per hour for my coaching and this workshop is just $49.00.
There is space for only 30 students so enroll now to save your place.